Food of Trinidad

For the past week I have been craving for some food from my early childhood.  As I left Trinidad at a very early age, I never did learn to cook any of the dishes.  So what better way to enjoy the dishes than to make sure it is cooked by someone who knows how to!  So TAKEOUT it is.....




Pholori
We started with pholoris for appetizers.  In Trinidad I remember getting a mouth-watering choice of either a home-made sweet red mango or a curry mango chutney to accompany the pholori.  Either would be a fantastic choice, but the sweet red mango chutney was always my favorite as I have always had a sweet tooth.  In Toronto, you normally get a hot pepper sauce and that is what I got today.  It's good but not as wonderful as those from my childhood memories.




Doubles
We continued on with another appetizer.  I remember buying doubles from a street vendor a block away from my school.  He normally rode something similar to an ice cream bike vendor.  More often than not I could not afford a double and opted for a single instead.  It is the same as a double except only one piece of fried dough.....and of course, it still had a spoonful of curry channa on it.




Dhal Puri
Chicken rotis is one of my favorites meals.  Unfortunately, most takeout restaurants don't put in enough curry sauce to suit my taste.  After all, it can't be that good if the curry sauce is not exploding out of the roti with each bite.  In my opinion, the best roti to be had is at Island Foods at the CNE.  I bought a packet of 12 rotis from Norman Sue Bakery in Scarborough.  For the filling, I opted to pick up some red thai chicken curry at Green Thai Restaurant.  You gets lots of curry sauce to dip into.




Pone
For dessert, we had a piece of pone.  I don't recall eating this in Trinidad.  What a shame!




Red Coconut Roll
Why stop at one dessert, when you can still cram another one into your stomach!  I have a weak spot for anything coconut.  In Trinidad, coconut is frequently used in desserts, and you can be sure it will be sweet.  This one was not too sweet (at least for me)!  I call it Red Coconut Roll, but this is probably not the official name.....but who cares!

I picked up all the appetizers and desserts from ACR Hot Roti & Doubles on Lawrence east of Midland Ave.

Comments