Split-Pea and Coconut Cream Pudding


Whenever I see desserts like this Split-Pea and Coconut Cream Pudding I always grab a piece or two figuring it is so light that I can polish it off no matter how full I might be.

When I saw this recipe on Christine's Recipes, I assumed this should be easy to make.  Well, the instructions are easy enough...but the final taste was lacking.  I don't think it was the recipe but rather the execution.  The final product was a bit soft and there was a bit of a leftover taste.  I think I needed to cook the cornstarch a bit more.  Despite this, this dessert was completely eaten.

Split-Pea and Coconut Cream Pudding
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1/2 cup split peas
1 cup cornflour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
2/3 cup coconut cream
1/2 cup evaporated milk
4 cups water

Directions:
1)  Rinse and drain split peas. Put them in cold water and bring to the boil until soften. Drain well.
2)  Mix cornflour with 1 cup of water. Make sure to mix them very well. Set aside.
3)  Melt sugar with 3 cups of water and bring to the boil. Add evaporated milk and coconut cream. When it boils again, gradually stir in cornflour mixture. Keep stirring and cook over low to medium heat. After the mixture boils again, cook for 2 more minutes.
4)  Remove from heat. Add drained split peas and mix well.
5)  Pour the split pea mixture into cup cake moulds or a Pyrex bowl. Let it cool down a bit. Then refrigerate for a minimum of 3 hours before serving.

 Tips:
- After refrigerating, the split pea pudding would become firmer and more tasteful.
- Be cautious when cooking the spit peas. It easily overflows when it boils. You might like to lift up the lid of your pot a bit to avoid this unpleasant accident.

Comments