Veal and Mushrooms with Marsala

Veal Marsala 400

After having such great success with the Pork Tenderloin Marsala, I had to try the classic Veal Marsala.  I found this recipe to try on Apron and Sneakers.

Veal Marsala Flour 400

The recipe was easily enough to follow and looked great.  I did enjoy the meal except for one thing.  The veal was tougher than I expected.  I was hoping for a very tender restaurant-style slice of meat as I had with the Pork Tenderloin Marsala.  I am not sure if it was my technique or perhaps that it is just the way it is supposed to be.  I will do some research and expect that I might either have to check into the cut of meat and/or need to use a chemical meat tenderizer.

Veal Marsala Frying 400

Veal Marsala in Pan 400 

Veal and Mushrooms With Marsala
Printable Recipe
Serves 6

Ingredients:
6 thin slices of veal (about 100 grams each)
500 grams champignon mushrooms
1 cup Marsala wine
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
fresh parsley, finely chopped
30 grams butter
extra virgin olive oil
flour for coating the meat
salt
pepper

Directions:
1) Lightly flour veal on both sides. Shake off excess.
2) Over medium heat in a wide saucepan with extra virgin olive oil, brown both sides of the veal with extra virgin olive oil.  Don't overcrowd the pan.  Cook them by batches.  When brown, transfer to a plate with kitchen paper towels to absorb excess oil.
3) In another saucepan over medium heat, put some extra virgin olive oil and butter.  Add the garlic and about a teaspoon of minced parsley.  As soon as the garlic changes colour, add the mushrooms and turn heat up to medium-high.  Saute for 5 minutes, tossing frequently so that they don’t burn.  Season with salt and pepper. Turn heat to low.
4) Push all mushrooms to one side of the pan then add the veal to the empty side.  Add the Marsala and turn up the heat again. Let the alcohol evaporate.
5) Season with salt and pepper.  Sprinkle the remaining parsley.

Comments