Chess Pie

Chess Pie Cut 400

I have never heard of Chess Pie before.  Of course, that's exactly why I needed to find out more.  So there is no certainty on its origin.  All I know is it is is popular in the Souther US, and it is a sweet pie that is really simple to put together.

Chess Pie 400


After researching a bit, I decided to try one that included cornmeal and vinegar.  I have no idea what difference it makes, but what the heck.  This Chess Pie recipe on Food.com had a number of good reviews.  I served it at a family gathering, but the best review came from my daughter, "It's super good!  It's sweet, but too sweet!  Can I get another slice please?"

Chess Pie
Printable Recipe

Ingredients:
1 (9 inch) pie shells, unbaked
4 eggs
1 cup sugar
1/4 cup butter, softened
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 tablespoon cornmeal
1 tablespoon flour
1 teaspoon vanilla

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 350°F.
2) Combine filling ingredients in mixing bowl; beat on high speed 3 to 5 minutes or until very well mixed.
3) Pour into pastry shell.
4) Bake 25 to 35 minutes or until golden brown and firm.
5) Cool before serving.

Comments